Friday, October 21, 2011

Bliss.city.east


Thursday 20th October has me in the front of a bliss.city.east show at Latebar where Philly Peroxide DJ's for Shimmer, the main shoegaze night. I first became aware of b.c.e in 2009 on the early end of this long recession. That really feels long ago. Recession years feel like dog years. I thought that was the middle of the recession. We are still in it! They did not have a CD then and so my human memory of their individual performances had to take refuge from the weight of many other bands and their CDs that took up space in my ipod. So here we are late 2011, and I see them again just before the XD Records First Annual Showcase event at Reggies Music Joint 19 November. So Perry, b.c.e guitarist has been busy. The band went and found themselves a live drummer, but hell everyone but Perry and Kim are new to me. I remember when Ruben and Gail were in. New drummer still noteworthy because my memories are at best enshrined episodes, flashes of their more detailed narrative. I saw them on stage, that's it. I go see bands, they help best to document my own narrative in this world. It's good to have them actively in my radar, in the ipod. There's this one video they got, and their videos are awesome, and this one is because they show all these images of the depression, all of it to point out how low we have gone today. At least that's how it seems to me. This past Thursday night at Latebar finds me in front of this busy local shoegaze band with a bunch of Shoegaze Collective people. As they went on before me, I thought how difficult this night would have been to pull off in venues such as Hideout, and Empty Bottle. This is mere speculation but this night was possible because of a very dedicated few who carved out a themed night in a like-minded venue. However it happened, I am grateful. I just know it's an uphill struggle.

No comments: