Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Eliza Rickman!!...Again!


She has this really sweet and playful song that only gets played when she feels at ease with the audience. It kind of requires audience participation, it's called "Foot Soldiers". Eliza said, "this song is about Napoleon". Which drew giggles from her crowd. The song is on youtube...not the version she played Saturday 8 October. Audience members are given these little novelty noise makers that normally irritate but in the context of this song are brilliant. You randomly play them while the song goes on, and it totally works and you have a great time participating.

So I caught a part of her show at Whistler. I saw Eliza Rickman play her accordion as well as toy piano. Yes, I said accordion, and also I caught all of her performance at High Concept Labs just across the street from Hideout. The second time was with other musicians, a cello, violin, etc. And she played mostly from this grand piano. I don't recall that many songs from her currently available CD Gild The Lily, except for Black Rose, and I think Cold Shoulder. I like Whistler for its intimacy but often you can still hear the background noise of people talking as the musician is playing and that can be just rude especially when the artist is someone like Eliza who shows up with a toy piano and accordion. Songs like those mentioned work their catharsis when the room is filled with stillness and contemplation. Psychedelic bands like Dark Fog, Killer Moon can drown all that and impose their presence. High Concept Labs felt different. The space was bigger, had old wooden floors, couches, regular seats, nice washrooms, and an atmosphere that focused attention on the performer, very hush. It was not the place to have a casual conversation with a band in your background, your rudeness would really stick out. The place seemed well suited for a classical music performance. You don't talk over a cello, violin. Just the right space for Eliza, and there were a lot of people there to listen to her. Whistler has its merits but it can be too loud for a tiny place. As I ponder this further, it's been loud for many musicians. Aleks from Magic Key made a passing comment about this as well right to the audience but the murmur continued. It embarrassed me slightly to be in that crowd. Last year Eliza moved to L.A. I recall. This last Saturday she mentioned moving from there....she did not like living there and is happy to be away. The forth coming CD was recorded in Chicago and I can't wait for it. She has gigged Chicago a lot now that I think about it, more times than I have noted here. All the songs that she plays with violin, viola (I think) and cello will be in this new CD. I'm quite sure Eliza was happier at the HCL turnout. There was no way to predict with that slight indifference at Whistler. I hope Ms Eliza stays happy and productive. She gives a voice to silent kindred spirits.

No comments: