Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Slowdance at Empty Bottle....again!





I think it was this guilt for missing the Occupy Chicago marches in downtown that propelled me to not miss Slowdance open for Anika....hmm. Anika, that's another blog post. Friends of mine went to the marches that I could have met with and all but, I could not go. So I cannot speak to being there but the marches are noteworthy to me and seeing Slowdance will remind me that they occurred on the day of their Chicago appearance. Grand it could have been to go to both and witness both. I think this was the last leg of the Brooklyn band's second mini-tour. I caught both shows, yay!! I can't recall whether I downloaded their music before they came to Chicago or after. The song "Cake" I downloaded after their first Chicago appearance. The song is all in French. So every impression the song will make will be not from what it says but strictly from how it says. Momo's voice very casually rides the impatient bouncy guitars. There's really something iconically familiar about the song. It's gonna remind you of something you heard in a vague before. Like it would make weird sense if this song and band were old because then it would confirm that you did hear this song before.....you just don't know when. So for lack of better words "Cake" has this iconic impression on me. It plays in my head a lot. Its one of them songs that my mind indulges in doing so. It's so fascinating to see them on these early tours because these are the experiences that they will learn from when touring becomes part of their routine, and the tours become longer. The tours are not yet the new normal. It is quite a singular moment to catch them at this time away from their home. I guess it is a speculation what lessons they will take from these early tours. All I can do is applaud them for doing them, and be happy that this was how I encountered them, before reading about them on Venus Zine.

No comments: