Friday, December 20, 2013

Gel Set

This was completely unexpected. Bittersweet  at The Whistler was supposed to be the cool down after seeing I:Scintilla at Phyllis on Division earlier. I walked in to Philly Peroxide's night at Whistler on Milwaukee. If I see friends its great but I still wished I walked in with a copy of The Promise from Jose Rivera, short and sweet and packs a punch in its 90 or so pages. I didn't ponder on that long enough because friends of mine connected to The gone-too-soon Rosen Association invited me to go The Owl a short walk away.  Gel Set was about to go on at midnight. This is a thing to know about The Owl, their fucking late shows. Already having seen a concert, yeah lets do this. The euphoria of having seen  I:Scintilla has not even worn off yet. Gel Set (Laura Callier) I have seen before with Magic Key and I believe she has toured with Fielded. Her music is effortlessly dance-floor worthy, but its not as straight-forward or obvious as dance music can be.  There are weird shadows cast before your path. Its not as straight as it seems. You have the hmm..... cleanly landed beats that seem to pander but instead lead you further away from the familiar and into the otherworld. It resonates and then weird left. Before you know it. You're too scared to stop at a gas station to ask for directions. Perhaps its the music growing on me. I danced a lot to her set this time, more than the one gig at Empty Bottle.  Gel Set is at times trance inducing with her beats. This strikes me as someone that can write dance tracks in her day dreams. They are like snowflakes falling all around her subconscious mind it seems. These snowflakes don't fall in the expected landscapes in the expected seasons.  Dimly lit like a club with a disco lighting. There is something obviously dance-oriented to her chosen sounds. If you like music that easily induces you to move but you have a short attention span, some tracks will be for you and some won't. Ms Laura does enough left turns to throw off some but not all.  To those that have been thrown off. Give her a second look. GS will grow on you and your cardio will adjust to her.  It took me this second time to finally come around. There were perhaps two other shows I missed as I was coming around. I think she opened for Fielded once and I missed that set. I wish I was on time for it now.  Catching her set this time was an accident, the next gig I shall go deliberately.
Zig


No comments: