Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Bellwether Syndicate

I caught part of their set, a small but significant part. The last few songs, a good view of what the greater whole is. So as late as I arrived I still caught something......a greater whole, which the performance is part of it. Bellwether Syndicate have played for their local Chicago audience before but Empty Bottle is different from Nocturna. Its different from Whitby. Presumably the Empty Bottle audience is less aware of William's Faith And The Muse past and how influential he is to a whole subculture. There are nights and venues where you fully expect or desire your black clad people. Those of us that aged with the Bauhaus/Siouxsie  shirts, and added to that collection, stayed actively identified to the culture. There is something old about this new band, and that is part of why I went. For starters if its something suggested by Scary Lady Sarah, I usually like it, and she's playing guitar (under the name Sarah Rose). And now there's William Faith, and where do I start? I got the shirts. I got a collection of CDs I can trace to him. When he decided to call Chicago home, I was happy. And I would see him regularly at Nocturna and at shoegaze or death-rock/goth themed nights.  Many fond memories of seeing other bands are extra special because he was in the audience. This was my first time seeing William Faith in his new band. They were playing from the EP The Night Watch. All the times I could have seen them....hmmm, this was it for me. This makes it for me. This was at Empty Bottle, and half the audience was non-goth. Some were people from other local bands with apparently little awareness of the subculture that shared the Bottle with them. These are people I have no expectation of seeing at Nocturna or anything remotely close to goth.  They were a perfect uninfluenced crowd. Then there was us loyal Nocturna goths, many that I've known over the years. Lots of things raced through the mind as William played that one last Faith And The Muse track.  A good five or so danced. I would have been among them had it not been for this sprained ankle. A lot of us goths really do see outside our permeable borders. We actively listen to and seek out and support a wide variety of music. Its from this subculture that I learned to support artists/musicians early. In that room I saw some of those musicians from the bands that I found out from those that dress in black....specifically the one playing guitar . From this community I learned a great many things, indeed. BellWether Syndicate is William Faith's new band with Sarah Rose (Scary Lady if you will) and Philly Peroxide. As I said before, I caught a small part of their show, and so the rest of the imprint is from listening to the EP. I must say it was a very empowering drive to hear All Fire on the way home. It cascades from there. And Sarah sings! I mean. Its her and wow!  You Can See Through Me right off starts on a casual but quick pace, but not something Sarah has to run down. All five tracks actually feel hmm, well paced....Hmmm when you've written music for a subculture that has dancing woven into its fibers, what you write will spark, direct and maintain attention.  For me the listener, vaguely I feel these are gears that somehow I have handled before and are happy to hold again. The long-term relationship I have felt at least since the FTM days flexes on the strength of Bellwether Syndicate. Did that sound right? In one performance I see a greater continuum. You see a longevity that you want to translate into one's one life.  Alright. I just need to post this. Its been a long time.
Zig