Friday, December 27, 2013

Treasurer

Just happened to catch this on a Free Monday at Empty Bottle that I did not know that morning I'd go. Treasurer already had me sold by the time they played their last song  Los Amigos  the last song I believe.  Its the one song I recall for sure they played that is on the CD. I've played it like its the first time repeatedly.  Its muscular like you just did more pull-ups than you thought you could. They were generous enough to just  give me their CD.  So for me the performance and the CD are almost two separate things tethered by one song. No matter. Their name......last week  it had only one meaning and it was not the name of a band I would like...a lot.  Now I'm all into Brochure, their 6 song EP. Singer's voice is chill, almost in a speaking tone and in stark contrast to the raging bass behind her. It works to invite hmm deeper thoughtful moments when slowed down like in Rural Geometry. The bass is what I noticed first. Its the only guitar they got. It just induces movement in your hips, as if they had better ears for it. Thats the id telling you something. The guy played it with an infectious enthusiasm. He played aggressively yet I can still hear the singer, she was not drowned out. The guy dripped sweat from his forehead. I imagine it was probably Venn that sold me first but I don't know. This is something I certainly would want to see again. You can tell where their songs sink into individual stretches like in a jam session. The Country Is Behind Me has the aggression of the bass give the girls voice this awesome background for her to strut. In none of these songs I know what is being spoken. The impressions here therefore are way fucking subjective and will evolve as the music finds its permanent space in the minds interior castle. I hope this is the first in many times to see them. Their music is sharp, messy, energetic with a calming almost whispering mysterious voice. You don't listen with you're ears as much as with the hips, the body. For me that's the bass in front. If this post strikes as short....well at least its not the usual long winded take.
Zig




No comments: