Monday, December 16, 2013

I:Scintilla acoustic

 I:Scintilla did an acoustic set 12 Dec at Phylis on Division. I planned my night this way. Go see I:Scintilla and after, go to Whistler where my friend Philly Peroxide DJs. I shall dance instead of nursing this here sprained ankle! I did not count on being invited to go see Gel Set at The Owl at midnight. So this is the first of of an amazing night. To this first venue on Division I have never been to before. It feels like an eternity has grown between now and the last time I saw I:S.  Out of all the missed opportunities to see them sooner, the one that hurt is when they shared a stage with 8MM. For dragging my feet I missed the whole show, both bands. So catching  Ms Brittany do this acoustic set was a mission of sorts. So I make it. I catch something. Its not her first acoustic set of course. Its the first one I don't lean on YouTube to see. A lot of theater is stripped down when you go acoustic. There is a lot that you don't do acoustic and it was interesting and important for me to see this artist do this. All the dancing is out. The familiar movements that help you communicate are out. You sit down. Its just your voice and a guitar in a bar on a cold Thursday night. As cold nights go.......its  the kind that promotes laziness when you should be at the various stages of getting ready and fucking being there. Once you are out in it. You pretty much beat it.  I make it to a loose bar crowd that included faces that I have seen with I:S gigs before. But its been a while. When they were promoting their second album Dying And Falling that I have bought is when I started missing their shows. I'm far more familiar with the first album Optics and the all that relates. I got posters of seeing them as way back as 2007. You feel like the world has gone through countless cycles of hell and back and survived to see late 2013.  Its just Brit and a guitarist. Her voice is obliged to hover delicate like a humming bird where it once galloped and without the usual instruments. If not for captured YouTube videos this was my first time seeing this...acoustic from I:S. And it worked. She sounds wonderful. I wanted to see this, I wanted to support, and this Thursday was not cold enough to make me miss shit.  I think Brittany sang some covers. It matters different when its a few people at a bar....hmm more that that but less than a regular concert crowd. I wanted to be in the bar to hear the rare acoustic set. When they tour nationally its going to be different. This is what you can catch locally from them. I was real thankful this was no cover at the door. I was so broke. As research for this post I saw some live acoustic I:S videos on YouTube. And then say I square that with the latest gig. You want to reinforce the memory. Then it was done, and off I went for Bittersweet, Philly Peroxide's DJ night at The Whistler to kind of bask in the glow. Two separate events that relate and so complement each other, enhancing a night. And Philly's Bittersweet event was more a link in a greater chain still because of who I met there. It was not over after I:Scintilla. It was a great start, and







still something to stand on its own.
Zig

No comments: