Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Iscintilla






The ones above are from the first time I saw them, 6 July 2007.  That night was witness to a wide variety of industrial performances.  High Blue Star, Attrition, and I:Scintilla are so massively different from each other.  Miles apart from each other.  
This is from a performance I saw at the Double Door.  There was also a burlesque performance that night.  Uni and Her Ukelele also played.  I missed her but I managed to get her CD and it was great and all.  But anyway.  This is I:scintilla, a local Chicago industrial band.  The lead singer is Brittany.  I believe she is a graduate of U of I Champaign-Urbana.  That is a powerhouse school with it's own cultural scene.  The band moved to Chicago.  They make a city proud.  



  I first saw them open for Attrition, July 6th...2007 I think.  I've known of them before, from reading of them in goth/industrial magazines.  Since that first performance I've seen them play with The Birthday Massacre as well.  There was this one gig at the Brauerhouse, noteworthy because of it's intimacy.  I recall fewer than 15 people.  More so for their smallness.  The Brauerhouse is this venue that mostly seems to host metal bands.  It's in Hillside, a place I had not heard of before.  It's near some cemetery.  You really get to know what's around Chicago by having these great bands perform suburban venues.  I got to know Wolf rd by going to Hillside to see I:scintilla.  It was a nice drive to and from.   
Everything I read was good.   But nothing is like being the one to report it.  This band, and this performance was worth covering for all kinds of subcultural goth/industrial magazines.  And they are deserving of a wide audience.  I was happy to see them featured on JBTV. They are distinct from but remind one of Collide, Aryia or Ego Likeness. They are more rough sounding than Aryia, still dancey as all industrial must be  I think they are a fine example of native Chicago music, and industrial music.  They play around Chicago a lot, which has given me the chance to see them many times.  Each performance is singular, and noteworthy for moments that may not repeat ever.  Some  pictures I post here are of the night they shared the stage with some Burlesque performers. When is that happening again? Great industrial band, powerhouse female voice..and burlesque.  Its one of those combos that may never happen again.  I was glad to see it.  It exposes burlesque to the best of local industrial.  This band is steadily gaining and maintaining a national following I believe....well they have toured with Aryia and Cruxshadowes.  I'm glad they live in Chicago.    



No comments: