Wednesday, November 5, 2008

This is Uni and Mariel a la Mode.  Uni sings and plays ukulele.  Mariel is a Burlesque performer.  Uni played sometime before I:Scintilla.  I missed her set entirely but just in case.  I bought her CD. Her performance in Chicago is noteworthy.  This is understating.  I'm about to just gush about this girl.  What follows is a rant about meeting her and discovering her music.
I walked by her merch table like twice, before buying.  I:Scintilla was playing at the time.  I was just too curious.  She was wearing pink. I can see her from near the stage.  I took these pictures, just in case, upon meeting her.  
  Uni is amazing.   I mean where do I start?  She is sweet and witty.  You know how Nick Cave made manliness intelligent.  Uni brings her own way of articulating feelings of falling in love.  The songs disarm and strike with wonder.  "See Your Face Again" takes you to a regular mundane Tuesday morning, and being in love.  It's all in how she articulates feelings, vulnerable feelings. Uni disarms the cynical,industrial, gothic, post-punk mind with her witty, intelligent songwriting...and her ukulele. You feel the songs with her, as your own moments.  Just when you think you figured her out, she goes dark with "Haven't Been The Same".  Actually the more I listen the more shadows I see.....I can't help that...it's more me.   Uni's songs are smart like an indy film you just discovered.  The CD is called My Favorite Letter Is You.  There's a lot of youtube videos on her.  There is this cover of Bruce Springsteen's she does, and she totally owns it.  I am a fucking believer.  This girl deserves a wide, wide audience.  
Kaspar Zig

No comments: