Monday, May 30, 2011

Anna Calvi at long last

Rather than write this one out slow, for now I want to post these pictures up to document her appearance here in Chicago. There was a massive attentive audience for her that Saturday night. I think that is as small as her crowd can get from now on. I think people there were left mesmerized by her. You don't get an audience that big for nothing. It wasn't packed but you really couldn't get to the front without being an asshole.
Not that I asked around, but that many people in I believe your first Chicago performance can graduate you to a bigger venue next time...right? Phantogram sold out Schubas and then they did Lincoln Hall.

I first heard about her on the Rocker Paris blog. After that her name just stayed in the background. The research of her name just came to me. My antenna was already tuned into listening. I noticed how young she is versus how old she sounds. She is only 27-28? Her guitar skills are like 48. The most interesting man in the world has a very interesting niece, and its all for her own reasons. AC's voice sounds so deep and womanly when singing. During interviews her voice retreats to girly mode. Her music sounds worldly and smooth. All these are little things but they get you to listen and the music starts to imprint on you. It's no wonder that she would share a stage with Nick Cave. There is this inexplicable maturity and coolness to her music. Like they were written by someone older. Some people just have it this maturity ahead of their years and it shows in the music, in whatever they choose to express themselves in. They don't need years of experience to come off in that way. You have to see her play guitar. All this and seeing her live was so remote a possibility. You don't actually want it. I mean there are so many things, bands that are from the U.K. that I want to see, that I may never see. One more does hurt in that way. Here and there some make their way here. Anna Calvi played Schubas Saturday 28 May and the turnout for her was big. I don't think it sold out but I gave up going to the front of the stage. People just stayed in their place and watched. We applauded long enough to get her to do an encore. I bought her debut CD and I'm into it. You hear a female voice, but her voice can completely speak credibly from a male point of view. So when she says "I'll be your man" it's as macho as Nick Cave.

No comments: