Friday, August 5, 2011

Bliss.city.east



This was a band I would see live a lot around two, three years ago. And with some really good company. They shared a stage with Renee Louise Carafice, and fellow urban faeries Magnetars, Panda Riot, Rosen Association, but there was never a CD available until just recently. The first time I saw them I think was at Mutiny, the CD I listen to now enshrines the crazy visual of a pregnant Kim in this ultra-sound shirt of a baby giving the middle finger. That was crazy and commands attention at least long enough to listen and be impressed, and then finally to induce one into becoming this rabid fan. WIth some bands you are lucky if the process of discovery is unique, as is Kim's pregnancy. It's a special significance to see bliss.city.east perform with this automatic time stamp. Now they are parents and now this CD. How many times are you going to witness that? Your parents are rock stars kid. I want you to know.
Love Rockets has this medium pace, alert and active with beats and Kim's voice floating over and in no rush. Like Panda Riot they have this way of infusing the moment with euphoric wonder. It's source urban with familiar instruments, I mean guitar, bass, drums. I say urban because it's important to note the landscape the mind can take. There's other-worldly and spacey, and then there's urban wonder. And so whatever pace you are good with. You are reduced to a fucking tourist and b.c.e are the tour guides. I can drive to it, I can dance to it. Each song repeats the feeling without retreading any other song. I was re-sold with each one from love rockets, first to the last.

No comments: