Sunday, August 14, 2011

We Are Hex/Killer Moon

Notice the Joy Division shirt on the drummer!
They played new music that Friday night. We Are Hex are playing what they will eventually record I think in California, tour there up and down and then eventually back in Chicago I don't know when.
I feel a tribal affinity with local bands, midwestern bands. We always seem to feel we don't get enough respect from the coasts. Like too much attention goes to them. And so too many want to go live there to chase the weirdness. We forsake the mouth for the source. We are that source. Our various scenes are a wonder to behold like an oasis you forgot was there.

So, my dear friends Killer Moon were invited to open for this show at Treasure Town this past Friday 12 August. They were invited by Rabble Rabble the headliner. The two other bands were Cool Memories and We Are Hex. When I found out I was glowing like Robert Deniro in Goodfellas. One of my own was about to get made. Killer Moon was going to share a stage with We Are Hex! And it was at a squat. The same building as Mortville. Treasure Town is on the second floor. Mortville is on the third. The third floor has the availability of the roof you can where you can just chill and smoke and have this view of the working class urban backside of Chicago. Add to that the novelty of using this former work space for art and music, making this lonely old building cool again. The problem is that it's the third floor, one has to consider the logistics of hauling heavy equipment up and then down again. Treasure Town is mercifully on the second. To see friends of mine (Killer Moon) open for bands that I am a fan of is pinch me fabulous. It's outward validation of something that you internally support. And we are still using this old building in a shady south-side neighborhood. It's really odd to have Empty Bottle-type of hipsters that far south. It takes quite a lot of gravity to get them to go south. The only thing open is this gas station across the viaduct. The Pink Line is right there but closed....I think. For Killer Moon it was a second chance at a good performance in front of a good crowd. The previous Whistler gig was a disaster. I watched helplessly from the merch table....we now had shirts. I could not understand. I've seen them drink far more and with greater potency without them losing it. Strictly listening to the id would have me go see The Prids at Darkroom for free that same night. The id is a dick! But KM I'm close to, enough to feel a need to be there for them. At the last minute Killer Moon was hooked up by Rabble Rabble to play this gig with them and We Are Hex. KM needed this and I wanted them to succeed, to show their mettle in front of bands that I'm a fan of. Amaris and Jilly in the same picture means a capture of many converging moments. My friends got to play in front of big bands!

No comments: