Monday, August 15, 2011

Salem Bitch Trials






I left a lot unsaid about seeing SBT. There is something so punk about them, like something forgotten from an other-world raw period. Slightly familiar but not conventional-sounding. Their existence seems in part to be fueled by strongly held beliefs that come out fierce in their Riot Grrl delivery. They have that energy that comes from a young but wizened bunch. Not juvenile. Dare I say they remind me of Daisy Chainsaw. So they got this confrontational style. The lead singer often throws herself into the crowd, shoving people lightly but sternly. It's not really bad, its actually quite fun to have this 90 pound chic acting like 150 breaking that fourth wall. One song that I recall hearing and it's on their 5 song EP Sexual Assault Causes Impotence is ....interesting. I mean who isn't against sexual assault, right? Yet even after that consensus, it still happens. I think that is the source of their righteous anger. After one gig at Reggies, the girls were actually assaulted by some asshole at their merch table. He was bounced out but....ok, that's not rape but here is this huge jerk that has no problem wanting to beat on girls a third his size. Let's say I don't trust further this bastard's boundaries or lack there of. So righteous anger seems part of the engine of the being of Salem Bitch Trials. In their aggression you can tell they still have fun and can handle the chaos they produce. You have to when you have songs like "Eat My Pussy". Look at me, I said "their" anger. It is not just theirs. It should be everyones. As they performed this, the lead singer drifts into what seems to be a lecture in the middle of the song ignoring the beat of the music. This is something she would do again in another song and it seems to work for me, because it's that raw punk passion combined with a sense of purpose that spills over. Not her dress. It held together well. She didn't want to spill out of that. That is significant because it shows that she is not oblivious in the moment of performance. I like the EP I got and look forward to seeing them again.

No comments: