Monday, July 22, 2013

Laura Meyer

I can't help but feel personally invested in her travels, dare I say included.  Laura Meyer has toured the world with her music. I remember reading posts from her in England, France, Scotland, Germany, Italy....hmm, India as well as her performances back at her current home in California. And as she travels her music plays in my head. You start to feel personally represented by the songs. Its not saying the songs are about me. They did not start out that way of course but hey, isn't that how we want to feel about the music we choose to hear? Things happen and she observes and she writes and sings. Then I see what the mirror reflects back to me. Words resonate for a reason. There are interesting stories behind Walls and hmm, Ghost. These I heard at the Lilly's gig. And something happens with the fan to seek this out. The music now represents you. You did nothing to create it but somehow it resonates harmoniously. So seeing her posts are better than Travel Channel black tar heroine.  She is a friend who is this roaming poet/musician. Her FB posts are always going to be interesting when she's all over the place. I only started hearing Miles From Nowhere a good year after seeing her at Uncommon Ground. It was like becoming a fan all over again. It was one of two CDs I bought from her. The other is Been Here Before. That one I heard in the car on the way back home....no, first I went to Sarah's death rock night.....sorry. The night juxtaposed many events on top of each other that only my experience can tether. For what does Scary Lady Sarah's death rock night have to do with Laura Meyer. That means that when she comes around, you fucking go, and I made it at least once out of two attempts. I saw her at Lilly's on Lincoln Ave. From that night I would pick up Golden Delicious. So from this artist I will have music that will burn long term. To be honest I already downloaded it, but its awesome to have the CD. I went to her Uncommon Ground gig.....late, but it was with the intention of finally getting the shirt. So when she comes back that is still a mission. I've seen Julie Meckler, and Moritat there before.  I must confess this place is in an area I'd rather not go. I feel more alien there than normal. Its Lincoln Ave. I know...boo, fucking hoo its not Chirac. Well......parking can be difficult.
  It was a small and appreciative bar audience of I think in and out of ten people. Some of those being in the band that would play next. I got there way, way early....good parking. I go in and upon seeing her it dawned on me that we only met one other time. But she remembered me and it was cool. I don't want to come off as this overbearing jerk.
  Having this in a tiny bar....fucking hell I already used that black tar heroine metaphor but this moment warrants it. This gig for me...... Lilly's stole an artist that is fit for Empty Bottle, Hideout, Whistler. I hope that in the future Laura visits these other venues. These are where her ideal audience goes. Keep giving us a chance girl! Musicians, some at least have is a group identity or network to help spread the word.  Some of the bands I write about for example have a few songs that get clocked as shoegaze or goth, or dark and that pulls towards them a kind of group identity that can translate to an audience. I don't see that kind of loosely woven network of music nerds around ........me. I do think this has that out-of-the-box appeal to audiences of those collectives. It feels out of your normal beaten path yet somehow this is a natural fit, and its for a reason. LM is a folk/rock artist, bluesy. And your aesthetic is dark enough to like her. Or.....Oh, shit!  Really? Am I the only fucking nerd in this regard?  I don't want to be. I want Chicago to appreciate Laura Meyer more than I think it does. You know what....I'm basing this off two gigs. And she did spend a number of days here.....hmmmm. And I may well be just talking from my ass. I can only speak about the one night I actually saw her. I missed the other two gigs but I'm glad she stayed here for as long as she did.
  You can easily see into Lilly's when your walking by. The windows are wide so you can't help but hear and see what's inside. Chicago does indeed have its venues that can best appreciate her. On this Friday night, its a small and fortunate handful of people. I really gotta be grateful to Lilly's for having her. I got to know better the songs I liked already. Its great to have the recorded collected work, but nothing keeps it breathing the way a live show does. Friends of mine have told me of how they saw Warpaint....or was it School Of Seven Bells with just a handful of people. You know what? I get it. I don't go missing those moments. I am happy they have them. The example propels me to seek out my own.






No comments: