Friday, July 12, 2013

Rock Falls at Cafe Mustache

I am awestruck by this artist Rock Falls. So minimal and so grand and powerful is her whispery voice. Her name is Annie Reese and plays under the name Rock Falls. Its also where she calls home. So as you like the music you like the name of it and it begins to represent the mysterious that caught you.  What made Twin Peaks? The mystery and the wonder. In the Midwest one name the sweet mysterious goes under is Rock Falls. I have never been there and yet when I hear the songs Annie Reese has under Rock Falls, I kind of want to visit. I caught this show at Cafe Mustache on Milwaukee Ave.  She opened and Videotape would play next. Her songs are striking.....No? Give it a moment. Which song? Hmm....it's either Juntitled or Stop Your Heart for me.  They put you in these intimate playgrounds, safe for vulnerable and away from all harm and judgement. She was in mid performance when I found a couch tucked away behind a table of people to take these pictures.  It was just Annie and a guitar, looping pedal....perfect for.......well there we were, Cafe Mustache. Eventually I would buy her two song EP..S/T on vinyl from her and become the fan I am now. I was still in the process even after buying the vinyl. I wasn't just sold right there, but I was curious and now I think she's awesome and brilliant. Ghost In The Doorway is massive! Its not a shallow sweetness that leads to the hidden rooms of one's interior castle. Rock Falls leads you by candlelight, blinking on occasion but never extinguished. The strength of Annie's vulnerability is bigger on the inside.  As we hmmm....discover musicians like Angel Olsen who is fucking amazing, let us not allow artists like Rock Falls to go unnoticed.



No comments: