Monday, July 29, 2013

Staring Problem

Earlier in the week there was a show that I was too late for.  I arrived just as the band was finishing. I saw the various friends that I know around the local goth scene, including some that perform in the very bands I like. I notice the lead singer ofStaring Problem . My chronic tardiness embarrasses me and I did not want to be noticed by anyone but I think she saw me. I've been late to some of her shows as well.  However, I was well on time for her show at The Burlington where just about all their songs played were new and as yet unrecorded this one Wednesday night. That is what makes these shows so damn irresistible, when only the present tense holds it like water running between your fingers.  Nothing to take home yet. I arrived at a decent hour well before  they started. My only fear was not getting in due to my expired drivers license at the time. You see it in their eyes when they take a good look at it. Sometimes you don't get in. That sounds like such a pussy first-world set of problems right? Ahhh woe is me....the pain, the pain....as Dr. Smith once said.....in Lost In Space. I have since corrected this problem.
If you like what SP have out already, this would only strengthen and deepen your appreciation. I really like their use of just the basic instruments, guitar, bass and drums. The muscular bass I always notice for what it does and for what it allows the lead guitar to do. I've heard this thing hmmm about Chicago actors when they go to NYC for auditions in theatre. Its built into their training to make the other actors look good instead of competing with them as focus. The bass in being this....selfless support.....its the fucking muscle car for the lead guitar. Having said that.....it did not go unnoticed the new bass player. But going back to the muscle car metaphor its the same car I've known them to drive. The songs are longer than the previous work.  Hmmmm, well I meant it as a good thing.  Wait.....I didn't mean the others are too short.  I can say this. Immediately I liked what they played that night. It made me glad to see them continuing. You know how people are glad to see a cable show going one more season after you like them. After time you're familiar with them. I cannot recall one low turnout show for Staring Problem.  I always see a good crowd for them in all the small venues I've seen them in. Their band shirt I once bought from them my toddler niece likes.  Its a picture of a cat. So there is more music to come






and recordings of it. In the middle of the year and still so much to anticipate from it.

No comments: