Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Videotape

This was for an acoustic set they did for Cafe Mustache, on Milwaukee Ave, just north of California. I was curious to see how they would sound in that intimate cafe space, a rare moment to go after. Videotape will headline that 29 July Free Monday Empty Bottle gig that has Walking Bicycles as support and Pamphleteers as openers. That show I have been anticipating for what feels like many months. They are a band that I found through the abundant local shoegaze channels. So for me, the identity of the band begins from there but does not stay and takes off into all directions and somehow that fuzzy shoegaze cloud follows.....from a distance and leaves behind that fresh-cut grass and garden hose smell all over the place. Hear some of this at dawn and you become this rabid morning person ready for the day. They got the fuzzy, aggressive guitars that can be the foreword leaning engine or the fog that makes you slack and relax. And when they are sweet, its not over-powering sugary pop. So, how Between Me + You sounds......without their drummer is something I wanted to pass the time figuring out. Their music has been playing in my head a lot as of late.  This Is Disconnect just crashed on top of me like a stack of bricks and here I am trying to tell of the strike of each one. So that changes things, being familiar with the music as you look for where to sit in Cafe Mustache. I was already into them before my ass found a nice couch to sit in. On the way to a Panda Riot show I found them and they introduced me to Rock Falls.  So many shows of theirs that I have missed this is one mission that for many reason I must not fail to do.
Zig


No comments: