Wednesday, November 19, 2014

SEXY FIGHTS

  This is a band I should have caught like ages ago. They are local. For some reason I was too lazy to look them up and now I'm playing catch up. Its amazing how I can have them play in front of me and all I'm thinking is about how many times I missed them. Their music is soulful and the two pillars of that are the voice and the music. You feel separately their impact even as your hit with one song that is deep, soulful and modern. If you still feel like shit 'cause you missed Golden Filter that Wednesday at Empty Bottle...... too busy getting drunk over the Blackhawks winning. I feel ya'. I think you will like Sexy Fights. An easy sell. They bring a daytime energy to a midnight dance floor with Black EarthYou are at once assaulted by this freshly woken morning person happiness. I have to say seeing them this one time was fabulous like a revelation. I was overwhelmed by it......relax. Its intense that I saw it and was struck by it later. Then later it also hits me all them times I could have seen them., hmm anyway. They did not fuck around with the 6 track self-titled EP. Every track is absolutely brilliant on its own. They don't telegraph each other. They are smooth, electronic  and effortlessly dance-floor worthy. Sounding almost nostalgic for an earlier period of modernity. The idealized way a child remembers a certain time, trying to capture the best feeling of it in music. Yeah, that can also be me rambling on about this here band, but this is worth a listen. Trees....by the time you reach that one, you are overwhelmed with it. Its like having Golden Filter/ Glass Candy.....and they are from Chicago. Jordan Rose's voice just commands attention at all times. Its bold and deep and beautiful.....it just has this natural authority. I believe this one time was at hmm Burlington or Township. All I really can recall is that it was just one time. And having them from Chicago does raise the hope that I may see them again.  My impressions of this band will be evolving. ZIG.






No comments: