Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Sister Crystals

  I run an errand and I deliberately cue up You Won't Let Go. This one live is a killer. This one is the encore song or the one that made you want more. I have yet to really take in lyrics aside from what clearly pops out, but this is one that hits you before words even start to make sense. It hits me like it belongs in some indy cult film that without intending speaks for an age. A car that is so cool, you wanna buy a new house for it. Its already awesome after just over 3 minutes and then it drops the house on you. Six minutes and I wanted it to go longer. This hits me like a Warpaint jam session with John Lennon. This is actually a signature feeling Sister Crystals has on me with their music. First Time....that name is no bullshit, its that awesome. Their storytelling is not just in the words but in the hands, in the guitars. So these long intros or segments of just their guitar playing is great, I feel like I'm in the middle of this awesome jam session. This Emporium show I decided to go see instead of Ruby Fray/Coins at Burlington. I have to say I do regret missing that. And its not the same as saying I wish I did not catch Sister Crystals at Emporium with the last Videotape show. I just wish the shows did not conflict.  You Won't Let Go is the song I would recall best from the shows before finally buying the LP. But really every track is brilliant. My Ghost, From Our Room...You feel like you have climbed a cathartic hill. You wanna connect it to something greater because it already is on its own. Its the last track on their self-titled LP. Its on vinyl, its the exclamation. And can you believe it, they live in Chicago, local awesomeness! I noticed a good heavy crowd behind me for them at Emporium, so that was nice, I got the feeling they knew what they came for. For going on about them like I do, you'd think I would recall with tremendous precision which songs they played, but I do not recall, and I was there on time for their whole set. Oh look, and I just had to marvel at nearly this whole post without saying shoegaze. Chicago does seem to have this active, churning shoegaze scene, or at least bands that have had that crayon used to describe them....me included. Well....its just a fucking crayon and I just so happen to like to use it.
Zig




No comments: