Monday, July 25, 2016

Beat Drun Juel at Fuck Fest 3

 Last week I caught a part of her segment at Hungry Brain. This place on Belmont that I once thought closed. Even open its hard to find. They have this thing on Wednesday called Therapy Sessions. They mostly interview the artist. That is the focus rather than the actual performance. This is brilliant. I always notice when an artist says interesting things between songs and this is the perfect space for them to linger in those moments speaking about their music or whatever comes to their head. Donna played two songs. The one I caught I would hear again at the soon to be closed Double Door. I do not recall a lot of Donna's segment at Hungry Brain, meaning I don't have the minutes, mentally transcribed. Little beyond the set of images of her sitting down on a couch. The song I caught was like seeing the staged reading of a great play. Awesome as well as insightful. I remember talking to her briefly later. Hmm, I got nervous and so I ranted a bit. Argghhh. She's really cool. Its great the scene is sometimes small enough that you can have these casual moments. This shyness creeps back and you feel on the spot. That's the thing too, her guitar skills separately deserve praise. AAB SOCEC keeps my attention in part because of her guitar playing. Donna told me later about this thing at Double Door where Beat Drun Juel would officially release the EP Suppressor. So I make it to that on time to see some great bands before her. Pinto, Soddy Daisy, The Cell Phones! Donna has this powerful, dominant, effortless stage-presence. Its in her guitar-playing....I mean where do I fucking start. I want my nieces to see this. This would break a lot of Disney habits. I think it could inspire as PJ has. By now I can say BDJ feels familiar. Its great to have seen her shows, you visit them again even as this new performances brands its mark on my German Expressionist memory. She played Satisfy and....each track has its own set of balls. Satisfy I just gotta see live, its the signature of powerful, don't-fuck-with- me dominant. Bluesy......And its a beautiful sight, I have to fucking say. Donna gets into a performance as if the audience disappears from her radar. You see it in her face, her eyes when they are not looking at anything, but past everything, a lightning storm of intense flashed expression.  Some tracks that are previously in Off Your Face are also in Suppressor and you can hear the changes. I like seeing them revisit, its so insightful to see where they are now with their signature work. Beat Drun Juel finished their set by sacrificing this guitar Donna shredded. It was fucking fabulous. I believe it was also Donna's birthday.
Zig




No comments: