Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Ego Likeness

  I get faint feelings endearing and even nostalgic about Ego Likeness. I remember using film when taking pictures of Donna. I keep CD's. They are tangible relics. Perfect, tangible primary documents of their time. I look at Water To The Dead and it's from 2004. I can tear the room up looking for something else, just to see all of them in front of me. I won't. And then like a slow flash of branching lighting I see the path that lead me to appreciate Chicago bands like Hide....female and dominant. Their shows would bring together the people that lean industrial and goths. Two separate scenes. The shoe gaze people are so fucking spooked like cats under the couches, the poor fucking dears. Don't even bother looking around for them. They don't even get all the fucking costumes, why so much fucking black.
  It can be argued that who I choose to go see is a variation of the female underdog archetype. Their existence is swimming against the currents. Donna has this way of writing about them while kinda being an example of one. Empowering, and defiant are her lyrics. I do feel as if Ego Likeness seem to champion or write about the female underdog in all its forms.  This is something that can be observed in Donna's lyrics. Even when I hear her say "burn witch, burn!" you feel her completely with the burning witch. I still get some chills reading the lyrics of 16 miles. For me it is about a domestic violence survivor on the run after finally killing the bastard that had it coming. The mind cannot help but to form a wider story. Its on Water to the Dead and that is from 2004 I think. This long ago Monday night show at Reggies was their first since being stuck in some tiny Wyoming town for two days because the snow closed the highways. It was just dangerous and they were stuck and this Monday night Chicago show was the first out of that hibernation. I took pictures of this show and am busy trying to recall what I thought of it. Order Of The Reptile still feels recent....even if that's still a decade. Now I'm chewing through Breedless and I'm still behind. That one is from 2010. And by now they know their shit. Breedless waves the defiance flag with a practiced hand. It's an industrial dance-floor dream track. That I can say of most of Breedless. It all comes back to me, why I liked them to begin with, and why they will continue to hold my attention now and for the long term. The Devils In The Chemicals will hold me down until I catch up again later. I'm happy we are both still around. That's not just light bull shit. A lot of history has happened since I first new them and their work has proven timeless to me. It may not be so bad strolling through these. This is just what I have of them before walking into this show at Reggies. I came home with Breedless from this show that I almost did not go to. Zig.






No comments: