Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Pale Dian...Stargazer Lillies....Wow!!!

  So this time they played Empty Bottle, the second time under their new name, Pale Dian. They have been here more times still under their old name Black Stone Rangers. I arrived on time to see Stargazer Lilies. This show so mesmerized me. This was one that I saw ahead of time, sometimes wondering how would it go. The haze began when I walked into Stargazer Lilies. Beyond that threshold the wonder begins. I never got to properly write about them even as I have seen them once before with Casket Girls. They are seriously hazy with We Are the Dreamers. Its a fucking stoner's maze. You are lost and you don't care, its cool. They barely move faster than mid tempo. If you are nostalgic for a dream state, that implies patience for a slow drive in a wonder filled street. This time I got to see this after some moments with Dreamers. They were marvelous.
  A wonder to behold to see these slow burners do so live. They reveal slowly. Dreamers took its time with me. The title track hit me hard and dropped me in the middle of its mystery. After that I needed to take my time with the rest. And now they hit with a faster burn even as the tracks themselves do not. Endless Days floats me away. They all do a variation of floating. They sneak up on you. The maze will reveal eventually and that's when it hits you. How We Lost is a psychedelic soundtrack. It has a story to tell, and you are compelled to hear it. I remember just standing in front of it like it was gonna run me over and I was ok with it. And perhaps that is something I can apply to all of Dreamers right? I'm hear trying to load the moment with all this fucking forethought, right? Its really me reconstructing with a German Expressionist memory designer, afterwards. Kim Field sings and her husband John Cep is the guitarist. Had I done more research ahead of time I would have known that they were in Sound Pool. I saw the fucking merch on the table and oh it fucking burns that I just saved that money for some bull shit.....I'm ok. I'll get it later. So now here I am, on time for them and while still exploring the foggy Dreamers.
  And now I have Door To The Sun ahead ready to further load and warp the memory. An impression is ever evolving. And I bought Sun knowing the pace of the previous imprint. I'm cool. I catch their show and they are brilliant. I remember just concentrating on them. I recall an intensity to their easy pace. They know how to hold your attention. Its a magnet they know they have and recreate the engine with each new track. So I saw them, like really concentrating on them. The psychedelic haze had its way of washing in waves. I was in the middle of one as I saw this. And it had me ready for the next band Pale Dian! This was a a show I long anticipated now finally before me. And I was hit over the head with Narrow Birth.
  I was dropped into a Julee Cruise acid space-dream with The Avenue. That song I know I heard and keep going back to every time I play the CD. In this one trip they took here in Chicago...December 2015 I think....They had a CD with like three to hold you down. In A Day was in that first CD and I think I heard it that third July. I heard them again and that was great to behold. Some of the tracks I needed to hear again and again all maniacally. It helped to make the trip back home an nice touristy drive. I took home Narrow Birth and Door To The Sun. I was hit hard by their live sets. It felt nice to be in that tunnel with the light at the end of it too distant to be real, and you're far from wanting it to be.












  I stayed for they entire show which continued on with New Canyons and they were fucking brilliant! I noticed musicians in the crowd, I saw Scary Lady Sarah and Angela from Coins/Sybris/Touched By Ghoul. After the show I took a friend home. Some tracks from Narrow Birth searing and steady burn demand that you listen to quench the fire. The Avenue took me back to a smokey David Lynch bubble, nostalgic and hurting for more Twin Peaks. Spacey and bubbly is a signature of Pale Dian. They lean heavily towards sounding like Cocteau Twins. I mean awesome in that way. This was a vacation into the self.
Zig.

No comments: